Sunday, February 09, 2014

Our Beautiful World

Hello...

I got to choose the  prompt this week at 


And this week I've chosen

Derelict

I wonder if like me you ever pass a derelict building and think about it's history 
The secrets within those walls ... do you hear echos of laugher... or tears

I've dug into my archives to share some photos with you of a Derelict place that touched my heart


Some of you will no doubt recognise this place ... 
This is Herculaneum in Italy 
A once beautiful affluent city built by the Romans and destroyed along with Pompeii in 79AD when Mount Vesuvius erupted
At school we learned a little about Pompeii and like me, I'm sure many of you have been fortunate to have visited ... But I confess until I took a trip to Italy some 7 or 8 years ago ... I had never heard of Herculaneum


... unlike Pompeii, Herculaneum is below 'ground' level ... you have to descend into the derelict city via the bridge in the photo. Looking down you get a full perspective of just how deep this city was buried, of the tragedy that happened unannounced and so quickly


It was a large city - much of it still buried under the now sprawling town of Campania

How surreal it is to walk along the derelict and deserted streets of 79AD, enter the homes and shops of another 'Time' whilst being overlooked by those of the 21st century ... And even more surreal is knowing that many of the original residents still lie here ...


Derelict but hauntingly beautiful ...


... Amazingly preserved paintings ... done by whom? 


There are many photos on the internet of this Derelict place ... these are just a few of mine
And we'd love it if you shared yours with us too at 

Have a wonderful day

~ Ros ~










18 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. What a wonderful place to see. I do love to think about what went on in passed times in old places like this. Wonderful photos indeed my friend.

Hugs~

AppleApricot Wen said...

Oh wow dear, this is absolutely amazing! What a beautiful though sad place! I have been so fortunate as to visit Pompeii, but never heard of "H" either... Love your photos and story. It does speak to me very much, as I too can't help but think about what would the stories of the former inhabitants be.
As for your prompt, I loved it and had a bit of trouble with it at the same time, lol! First of all, I had absolutely no idea what derelict meant, and when I had looked it up came the realization that here in The Netherlands we don't have things like that. If something is looking a little bit worn down, here they tend to demolish or renovate it straight away. That's what I love about visiting your country, where decay is allowed and seen as beautiful in many cases.
Wishing you a sweet Sunday and week. Big hugs, xx

Lynnda said...

These photos are lovely Ros... Great theme chose! Hugs...x

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Awesome travel photos!

Sending love from Singapore!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful photos Ros! Love Pompeii!

Barbara said...

What a hugely informative post! I loved reading about it - have not been to Pompeii yet and you are right: I had no clue anything called Herculaneum existed... Thank you so much for sharing these amazing pictures and some history!

Barbara said...

What a hugely informative post! I loved reading about it - have not been to Pompeii yet and you are right: I had no clue anything called Herculaneum existed... Thank you so much for sharing these amazing pictures and some history!

Sylvia said...

What great pictures, Ros, depicting your word! Not sure how I would represent that word. I will be back to catch up, have been terribly ill this week and long to be over this. Have a wonderful rest of your evening.

Sue Lelli said...

I have never heard of that city before. Hauntingly Beautiful and oh so sad. Those paintings are AMAZING! THX for sharing your photos and the history with us!

Davi said...

Love the prompt you chose Ros!! And what a wonderful example you chose to use. I loved looking at all the photos and the history info. History is always fascinating and a mix of the sweet and bitter isnt it~

Tracy said...

Wow this must have been amazing to see in real life. Like you said, so much history. I would love to see some of the "derelicts" in your own country. Beautiful pictures Ros. :-)

Stella said...

These are wonderful photos; I loved looking at them. And the story you are telling. The photos from Italy ()Pompeii) also made me think of Rome and the Forum Romanum there. A gorgeous piece of history and so worth visiting.
XXX

Keren Baker said...

Wow. Hauntingly beautiful as you say. It does make you wonder about who lived there and what their lives were like. The paintings are amazing- just so sad that the town met such an unfortunate and tragic end. Carpe Diem xx

Unknown said...

These are incredible Ros! You have certainly picked some fine photos, they do so convey that derelict feeling. I, too, always think about the history of old places, of who has lived there, of the stories that were told there; somehow it's only old buildings that seem to evoke these feelings. Lovely choice this week! Hugs, Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Diane said...

Wow...what a unique place, I would LOVE to visit there sometime....what stunning pictures and interesting history. The painting are so wonderful, hard to believe they are still intact....love this Ros, thanks for sharing with us, I love your posts for Our Beautiful World!!!

Anni - My Creative Life and Mixed Media Books said...

Fantastic photos Ros, love the walls on the first photo, they are wonderful ruins.
Anni

libbyquilter said...

i thought it was a great prompt and it's been fun to see the various interpretations.

yours in particular is very interesting and sad . . .
one can't help but wonder at the lives of these people and of course at their deaths as well.

some great photography~!
thank you for sharing.

thank you also for your visit to my blog and for leaving such a nice comment. i really appreciate it.

:-)
libbyQ

Unknown said...

Oh my what an interesting trip to see those well preserved paintings, regardless of even volcanic eruption is just amazing!!! Thanks for giving me the tour!